The church was constructed in 1498 in the late Gothic style and represents the second most important pilgrimage location in the South Tyrol after Maria Weißenstein. The picture of grace (a wooden sculpture of a standing Madonna with child) dates back to 1470. Of particular historical and artistic interest are the numerous carved tablets as well as a painting depicting the transfer of the picture of grace into the new chapel. Open all day.
The pilgrimage to Maria Trens was already well-known in the Middle Ages. Pilgrims from far and near traveled to the "Trenser Mother" and asked for help. When exactly the pilgrimage started, isn't exactly to prove. A first documentary mention comes from an indulgence from Avignon from 1345. A hundred years later that the pilgrimage destination in Campo di Trens near Vipiteno was already very popular.